Monday, October 17, 2011

Canon Canonet QL19

I bought this camera from a local camera repair shop. The problems I found were: the wind lever was moving sluggish, missing the film counter window, self-timer was not working. The camera looked nice on the outside so I gave it a go ahead sign to start on the repairs.

Canon Canonet QL19 is basically the same camera as Canonoet QL25. They are bigger cameras than the Canonet QL17. The difference between QL19 and QL25 is the self-timer omission and removal of slow speeds on QL25, and the lens speed is little slower on QL25.

During start of the repairs, I run into a problem. The aluminum retainer ring was stuck and did not turn. The repair shop probably gave up at that point. When the ring finally came out, the pin that holds the name plate ring was bent.


I had a feeling that the pin would break if I make it straight and I was right. It broke. I drilled out a hole using a hand drill with a tiny drill bit and using a small tap, I made thread and screwed in a small post I had. Once it is tightened, I cut off the end and used a crazy glue to lock it in place and gave it some black paint. The pin I made was a perfect fit.